Riverside path along the Rhine, Near »Königsbacher«, with a view of Burg Stolzenfels
On 23rd August 1817 Turner leaves Koblenz and walks upstream along the left bank of the Rhine. Shortly before reaching Stolzenfels Castle he stops to make the sketch for this watercolour. The painting shows the town of Lahnstein, which lies ahead of him on the opposite bank of the Rhine, and the mouth of the river Lahn (in the middle of the picture). On the right of the picture the dark silhouette of Stolzenfels Castle rises against the hillside. The branch of the Rhine depicted in the foreground has been drained and is no longer visible today. Only a few hundred metres further on, Turner takes the ferry across to Lahnstein. Today Stolzenfels Castle is owned by the Federal State of Rhineland-Palatinate and is open to the public.
Medium: graphite, watercolour on grey-washed paper
Dimensions: 196 x 314 mm
Collection: private collection
Reference: TW1870; Wilton 655
Stolzenfels Castle features a truly magical palace garden.
Address: An der Königsbach, Koblenz
Site: Turner’s painting site is not yet marked
Public Transport: »Koblenz Königsbach« bus stop: approx. 5 min. walk
By bike: Rheinradweg cycle route – no detour necessary
Parking: Parking available in the immediate vicinity