A view of the “old” town tower and Burg Stolzenfels
Once Turner has crossed the Rhine to Lahnstein from the left bank he makes another sketch of Stolzenfels Castle looking upstream. The foreground shows a tranquil scene offering the viewer a glimpse of life on the river. Apart from natural landscapes, Turner was also particularly fascinated by scenes from everyday life. The middle ground is dominated by the Martinsburg, built in around 1300, with its imposing hexagonal tower and ornate decorative “Lombard band” with pointed arches. Stolzenfels Castle is visible in the background, along with the parish church of St. Martin. This is one of the few paintings with rich architectural content and numerous details, which served as a finished template for engravers. Today the Martinsburg is privately owned and can only be viewed from the outside. Stolzenfels Castle is owned by the Federal State of Rhineland-Palatinate and is open to the public.
Medium: Wasserfarbe auf weißem Papier
Größe: 198 x 316 mm
Sammlung: The British Museum, Turner Worldwide
Referenz: TW0408; Wilton 654