View of Burg Maus
The watercolour shows Castle Maus and the church at Wellmich. The motif is dominated by high cliffs, the colours of which appear to merge with those of the river. Turner devotes most of his attention to the castle, leaving all other elements silhouette-like and sketchy. On his later visits to the Rhine he continued to sketch the castle again and again from a variety of different perspectives. Today Castle Maus is privately owned and can only be visited on special guided tours.
Watercolour sketch, 1817
Medium: watercolour with pencil on washed paper
Dimensions: 183 x 242 mm
Collection: National Gallery of Ireland
Hiking: You can reach the RheinBurgenWeg hiking trail via an access route through Fellen in approx. 20 min.
Address: Rheinradweg cycle path, St. Goar Fellen
Site: The Turner plaque is located at the southern end of Hunt harbour in the immediate vicinity of the R(h)ein-Blick installation
Public Transport: »St. Goar Fellen« bus stop: approx. 10 min. walk
By bike: Rheinradweg cycle route – no detour necessary
Parking: Parking available in the immediate vicinity