02
01

Castles near Bacharach

Burgen bei Bacharach (Aquarell 1817) © The Trustees of the British Museum
  • William Turner - Standort 21: Burgen bei Bacharach
  • Burg Reichenstein and the Clemenskapelle (Centre) and Assmannshausen (Right), Looking Downstream from the West Bank North of Bingen, Figures Working on the Left 1817 by Joseph Mallord William Turner 1775-1851
  • Burg Reichenstein and the Clemenskapelle (Centre) and Assmannshausen (Right), Looking Downstream from the West Bank North of Bingen, Figures Working on the Left 1817 by Joseph Mallord William Turner 1775-1851

Just outside Trechtingshausen, looking towards Burg Sooneck and Bacharach

Just before he reaches Trechtingshausen on his way from Bacharach, Turner is presented with this peaceful vista of the Rhine – similar to the Hirzenach scene. He looks back at this wonderful cluster of sunlit castle ruins, all combined in a single field of view. Bacharach and Burg Stahleck are faintly discernable in the distance, also bathed in sunlight. In the foreground Turner shows people harvesting grapes. The castles of Heimburg and Sooneck can be identified on the left bank of the Rhine. On the right bank Turner gives a suggestion of Lorch in the shadows and Burg Nollig. Today Burg Sooneck is owned by the Federal State of Rhineland-Palatinate and is open to the public. Burg Stahleck is owned by the Rheinischen Verein für Denkmalpflege (the Rhenish Society for Monument Conservation) and is used as a youth hostel. The Heimburg and the ruins of Burg Nollig are privately owned.

Aquarell, 1817
Medium: Wasserfarbe auf grau laviertem Papier
Größe: 220 x 360 mm
Sammlung: The British Museum; Turner Worldwide
Referenz: TW0409; Wilton 671